Thunderbird is a free email client that can be easily downloaded from Mozilla website. It is an open source email client where you can enjoy adding various Add-ons as per your needs. Thunderbird can manage multiple email, newgroup, new feed accounts etc. Thunderbird client stores emails in MBOX file format whereas contacts are stored in Address Book. Thunderbird can easily run on several platforms like Linux, Mac OS and Windows. In this article, we will discuss how we can backup Thunderbird emails, profiles and contacts. So, let's start the session without any delays.
This is divided into two parts –
1. First of all, open Thunderbird email application.
2. Go to Add-ons and click on Get Add ons
3. Search for ImportExportTools Add-on and press Enter.
4. Click Add to Thunderbird
5. A next window is opened, click Install Now.
6. Click Restart Now. This will close Thunderbird and re-opens. If Thunderbird restarts in safe mode. Click Exit and re-open Thunderbird.
Steps for exporting email messages
1. Look for the folder whose email messages you want to export.
2. Click on Inbox and then choose ImportExportTools
3. In the next window, select Export all messages in the folder.
4. Select a file format to save messages. You can select any format as per your requirements like if you want to import Thunderbird emails to another computer, use EML format.If you want to save emails with original formatting and attachments, click HTML format (with attachments).
5. Choose a location where you want to save the files. Click OK
Thunderbird profile stores your account settings, inbox index and more. To backup your profile, given below are the steps.
Steps to backup a profile in Thunderbird
1. Open Thunderbird or double click the Thunderbird app icon.
2. Select Help option. This will open a new window.
3. Click Troubleshooting Information.
4. In the next window, Select Open Folder.
5. Go to Profiles folder. Copy your profile. If there are multiple folders, click Ctrl + A and copy the folders.
6. Close Thunderbird. Thunderbird must be shut down to copy the file.
7. Paste the copied folder to an external hard drive.
If you want to use your profile which is stored on your hard drive and want to use that profile folder for your current profile. Here are the steps to do this –
Thunderbird provides Address Book to manage contact information in an easy manner.
Steps to edit Address Book
Apart from Thunderbird, MS Outlook is another popular email client with efficient features which comes with MS Office applications.
To switch to Outlook from Thunderbird, you just need to convert Thunderbird files to Outlook PST format. You can use Softaken MBOX to PST Converter third-party application. This will convert all MBOX files to PST format which can later be imported to Outlook.