IBM Lotus Notes FAQ
What are the popular/common used Notes and Domino files?
Describing Notes and Domino files & folders
- nsf: It is known as the Public Address Book or Name and Address Book. It is also popular as the Domino Directory. Such file is developed automatically by Domino Server, holding Server documents, Personal Documents Internet Site Document and Configuration settings. For the management of Domino System administrators use Domino Directory.
- nsf: Every Domino Server holds a Log file which is responsible to keep record of all server activities and provides detailed information about users on the server and databases. The Log file is generated automatically while a user starts a server for the first time.
- nsf:It is also known as Administration Requests Database. Like a Log file, it is also generated while users start the server for the first time. Replica of the database is used by Domino servers to distribute requests made on server to other servers in the domain.
- ini:A text file holds primarily settings on which both Domino and Lotus Notes work without interruption. Any incorrect change can run the software unpredictably.
- box:In the server, a special database is created automatically right after the software starts. It plays role of a temporary storehouse to store messages during transport To and From mail clients, applications and other servers. Server enables to generate a number of Mail.box database specified on Configuration Settings document.
- id:It is an exclusive file and security feature of Notes which helps identifying users of Notes. It is generated while a Domino Administrator makes registration of a user. Such folder contains various details including user’s name, certificate from Certificate ID, private and public keys, encryption keys and password.
- .nsf:The data storage file format is known as Notes Storage Format. It is commonly use for Domino Server and Lotus Notes client data storage.
- .ntf:The full form is Notes Template File that holds multiple elements like forms, views, folders etc. It doesn’t hold any document.
- Program Folder:It is a directory where Domino Server and Lotus Notes are installed. It holds Notes/Domino executable files along with Notes.ini. Users have to specify the folder while installing.
- Data Folder: The folder contains templates and Notes/Domino applications which need to be specified by users during installation.
What is “Cannot Access Name and Address Book (names.nsf), because there is no error File. Locations cannot be used till the problem has been resolved” error?
First check out the names.nsf is in the correct place. Location will be C:\\Program Files\IBM\Lotus\Notes\Data for single user install. The location of multiple users would be C:\\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Lotus\Notes\Data.
- Locate notes.ini. it assists you locate the correct location which will be quicker than searching for registry.
- Look for if names.nsf is there. if it is not, then either recreate or restore the database.
- To recreate names.nsf, go with reconfiguration of the Lotus.
- To purse it, open notes.ini and delete all rows below the DST line.
- After that start Notes, It prompts to reconfigure Notes.
Differentiating Names.nsf in Domino and Lotus Notes?
The lnames.nsf refers to a Personal Address Book which has been designed to store personal addresses. It uses the template pernames.ntf, which efficiently hold entries of a address book and configure settings like connection / location documents. Such documents help users to find out how the Notes Client establishes connection with different servers.. At the server end the names.nsf is located which is also known as the Domino Directory (Template name Pubnames.ntf). The directory holds Group and Person documents. The Domino Directory helps to determine who will edit or create a particular type of document in the Directory. The Domino Directory also holds Server document that users can open to offer another user with administrative privileges. Every Domino servers in the same domain shares this one database (names.nsf) which is the most important database in Domino environment.
What is “This database has local access protection and users are not permitted to open it locally” error? How to resolve this?
The step covers:
- Setup your system with Lotus Notes (not connected with Domino Server) and Outlook to perform migration and copy the.id file related with the NSF file in your new system..
- After that start Lotus Notes, for which follow the step File -> Security -> Switch ID.
- Locate the .id file and provide the right password.
- After that you can easily open the NSF file on conversion machine.
How could users create copy or replica of NSF files which are not encrypted?
After starting the NSF file, users can see errors like this then Then your NSF file is said to be encrypted. To fix the issue you are allowed to create a local replica of the targeted .nsf folders that are not encrypted. Find the easy step:
Go to “File then Security → User Security → Notes Data → Databases → select “Do not locally encrypt” → click OK, choose “Locally encryption“.
How to fix corrupt views in NSF files?
To do this, all you need to generate new replica of the particular NSF file. Let’s see the step to create replica-
Open Lotus Notes/NSF files → Go to File → Replication → New Replica