What is Unix Mailbox?
What do you know about Unix Mailbox? It is a file format to store email messages on Unix-based systems. It was developed for the Unix operating system and is still in trend. Many Unix-based email clients, including Pine, Elm, and Mutt use the file format.
It stores data as a plain text file where the header contains meta properties like the sender, recipient, subject, and date. It can hold more than one email message and each one separates by a line that starts with “From ” which has a space. During its launch, it was a popular file format. Gradually, its popularity decreased. It was diminished after the launch of the MBOX file format.
Unix Mailbox cannot store multiple messages. On the other hand, an MBOX file can accommodate various emails. Moreover, it supports multiple email clients of Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Unix mailbox is an older file format whereas MBOX is a modern file format.
If you have Unix files and you wish to export them to a sophisticated email client, Outlook for Windows could be the best alternative. You can manage your old Unix files in a single PST file because a PST file can accommodate multiple messages.
Conversion of Unix mailbox to Outlook for PST
There are no manual or automated solutions that export the Unix mailbox to Outlook for PST. Therefore, we use a different pathway to transfer Unix data to Outlook. Here the method we are revealing comprises two steps. One is the manual and the other is an automated solution.
Unix to MBOX File Format
- Access the Unix mailbox file in a text editor, like vi or nano.
- Copy the messages of a Unix mailbox file into a new local folder.
- After that, access a new text editor window to create a new file. It is an MBOX file.
- Access a Unix file and copy the entire data including the header to paste into the new MBOX file. Don’t forget to make a blank line between messages to separate them
- Save the new file with the MBOX extension name .mbox.
Convert MBOX to PST File format- An Automated Solution
We don’t suggest anyone a manual solution to export MBOX to PST because there are limited solutions available and they have the risk of data loss. There is one famous manual solution that requires several steps. First, you export MBOX to EML and then EML to Outlook. After that, Outlook to PST conversion is required. These three steps are tiring to follow. Moreover, it requires technical skills.
Softaken MBOX to PST Converter is a modern-day advanced application and a wonderful alternative to any manual conversion solution. Softaken is a leading name for Outlook third-party tools. While searching for reliable Outlook third-party tools, you may have encountered Softaken tools.
MBOX to PST Converter is one of the best-selling applications of Softaken. It is a simple yet reliable program.
Highlights of Its Advanced Features
- Bulk Conversion:- The app supports bulk data conversion. You can pick single or multiple MBOX files to export to PST format.
- Export Required Files:- It has an advanced filtration feature to allow you to pick only required MBOX files for conversion. The two filtration modes help select specific MBOX files to transfer to PST.
- Display Preview:- The application comes with an added feature. It provides a preview of the selected MBOX files on its preview pane. It displays all mailboxes of each MBOX file.
- Advanced Custom Filtration:- One of the sophisticated features of the app is its advanced filtration. On the preview pane, it lets you deselect the files that you don’t like to export. Only, selective mailboxes you can export.
- Interactive Interface:- The interface of the app is interactive. The utility needs no technical occupancy to transfer data. It exports MBOX to PST within a few clicks.
- Save Exported Data in Your Style:- There is a naming convention feature where you can save emails as per your choice. Click on the arrow option and get the naming convention for emails to save them to PST format as per your choice.
- Forever Validity:- The app is valid for an unlimited duration. You can use the app as long as you desire.
Steps to Run the Program
- Access the application after downloading it
- Select the File Mode or Folder Mode and then the Browse tab
- Get the preview of the selected file and filter data by deselecting the ones that you don’t want
- Choose the export option – Create Single PST Files for All MBOX Files or Create Separate PST for Each Account
- Choose the naming convention for emails as per your choice and data filtration (Optional features)
- Click on the Browse button to provide the destination pathway to save data
- Press the Export Now tab to complete the process
Also Read:- Convert Outlook PST to MBOX
When you choose a third-party reliable app to export Unix mailbox data to PST, it becomes very easy. Anyone can do this. You can have a peace of mind.